Monday, June 3, 2013

The Right Personal Trainer is also a Coach


Not too long ago I had a conversation with my younger sister. She lives out in L.A. (for better or worse, the body image capitol of the world) and was asking me about what to look for in a personal trainer. Besides, the obvious question,  “Jay, why not move to L.A. and train me,” the next serious question was “what makes a good personal trainer and how do I go about finding one?"

First off, expand the role of a personal trainer to include “coach.” Why? To put it simply, everyone’s skill-set is different and everyone learns differently. I believe it is the job of a personal trainer to have the client succeed by “coaching” up a person’s weaknesses through progressions. If you look at any successful sports coach, isn't that what they do with their athletes? The end game is to help improve performance in order to reach a goal, not to have sloppy form and poor technique by just “doing” an exercise or routine. The personal trainer that coaches has an understanding of this and provides tips to safely guide you through progressions in stability and mobility drill exercises. If the workout is not customized to your abilities, is it really personal training? Or are you following the same training template the previous person or people performed?

It can be hard finding a personal trainer that meets this high standard. How do you find a knowledgeable personal trainer? I’ll give you the same advice I gave my sister. I’d recommend first starting a search at http://www.functionalmovement.com/. You can type in a search for FMS certified instructors in your area. From there, you can check their qualifications. Based on the expertise and qualifications, you can start the interview process to see which person you feel most comfortable with and can help guide you toward your personal goals.

I met my coach when I became certified in the Hard Style Kettlebell Certification (HKC). I drive an hour both ways to see him because he helps me to become better in executing lifts, developing new skills, as well as making me a better coach. I tell him my goals and we work on my dysfunctions to improve performance. So I know exactly where most of you are coming from when you decide to work with a personal trainer. I will gladly pay more for his expertise over someone that places a higher emphasis on a workout beat down that has no idea of my personal skill-set or needs for improvement. It's easy to get a "workout" and make someone tired, you don't need a trainer to do that, you could ask a fellow gym member to do that. What separates a good coach is the attention to detail in movement, cues to improve performance, program design, etc. 

A personal trainer is not a personal coach if he or she: 

1) Does not establish a skill-set or baseline (The FMS is a proven way to screen movement competency)
2) Fidgeting on a cell phone during a personal training session
3) Focused on everything and anything BUT you 
4) Program based on only machines 
5)Not coaching to improve performance 
6) Does not understand the exercise but teaches it anyway (kettlebell users beware!)


A principle from Dr. John Berardi’s Precision Nutrition Certification I always use is, “be honest and outcome based.” It’s a simple message but I believe it transcends nutrition. Are you receiving the personal attention you deserve to improve and safely reach the goals you have set? Think about it and be honest. Don't fall into the trap of paying for a friend, because in the end it's your goal and your money. Best of luck in your search for the right coach and achieving your fitness goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment